JoeG sent me his beautiful frag body to refinish. It’s in pretty good shape, just some surface rust and paint that needs to be removed. And of course re-blueing and a coat of Barricade. And since it’s in such good condition I decided that I would not do electrolysis or any chemical paint or rust removers.
Cleaning off the rust
I started off using the flex-shaft with wire-wheels to clean off the paint and rust but I was noticing that I was going through the wire-wheels a little faster than normal. There were little burrs on the sides of the cubes that kept catching the wires and yanking them out. So I reached out to Joe to see if he wanted me to remove the burrs or keep it as is, he opted to have them removed. To remove them I scraped them off with an old exacto blade, it’s a thin little piece of metal and doesn’t take much effort to remove. After they were all removed I continued on with the wire-wheel removal of rust.
Applying blueing is pretty easy and something I do often, but I finally completely emptied that bottle of blueing. I did my standard two coats, that gets it to what I feel is the appropriate shade and gave it a spray down with Barricade.